Being underground always makes me think of that quote from Goonies. :)
A while back (as in, a couple of months ago) we took advantage of a groupon deal and toured the Crystal City Mines. No, they were not mining crystals. They're these old sand mines (who knew people mined sand?) and they're ginormous! As in, if we took the canoe tour they offered, we would be there for 4 hours and still not see everything. I was wondering if the town was going to cave in on us. Actually, it seemed more like the size of 3 or 4 towns, so I don't really know how it works, but it was awesome. As it is, we took the 30 minute barge ride and only saw a teeny tiny portion of what the caves have to offer. It was super cool. Cool as in cold. We kind of wished we'd waited until the hot summer to go down there to get a break from the heat - but Dan loved the cold temps and we both loved the fun date night.
Crystal-clear water. The white stuff on the wall is the sand they were mining.
The barge had a heater on it. Blessed day! While we rode around the lake on the barge, I kind of felt like we were in the Underworld with Hades. Dan felt like he was in Lord of the Rings. Take your pick.
To the left are bunch of sand volleyball courts. To the right is a glow-in-the-dark frisbee-golf course. And behind us is laser tag. Yes, this place is awesome and if you come visit maybe you'll get a tour!

Spjute!!! I have been thinking about you a ton lately and I have been wanting to talk to you but your number was lost in my phone that got peed on...or maybe it was the one that got run over...anyhow, since I am slowly reentering the blogosphere I tracked you down here and have been catching up on your posts. I miss you SO much! You happen to be one of my favorite people ever. I hear there's pretty great camping in Alaska, maybe you should come visit me? (ps I live there now) Or maybe just email/facebook me your number or call me if you still have mine, it's the same. I love you a lot. That is all.
ReplyDeleteThat looks awesome!
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool!
ReplyDelete