Background

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

"Spjute-ing It"

Confession to anyone who doesn't know me (because I'm pretty sure everyone who does know me, already knows this): I am kind of (really) OCD when it comes to being prepared for things and thinking ahead about what I might need.  I guess I just don't like the stress that comes when things have to be done last-minute, so I try to avoid it at all costs, and I like to get things done as quickly and efficiently as possible.

For examples:
  • I'm either early or on time to basically everything.
  • All throughout my school years, I ALWAYS had big projects done at least a week in advance. Yes, I was that annoying student who never turned anything in late. Ever.
  • BEFORE I was officially engaged: I had an appointment to get my dress (and I already had my choice of dresses narrowed down to just a few), the temple was reserved, the luncheon room and reception rooms were both reserved, the live music for the reception was booked, the photographer was booked (along with a date and time for our engagement photos to be taken), and I had informed my boss he was going to need a new teacher in January. (Good thing neither of us backed out!)
  • At my first "We're pregnant!" doctor's appointment, the nurse gave us a bunch of informational pamphlets - one included the info for an all-day "birthing" class at the hospital and she told me they filled up quickly so I would want to book right away. Like any good girl, I gave them a call the following week. The secretary told me they would book us for a class that was fairly close to our due date and asked when mine was. I told her. There was silence on the other line before she busted up laughing.  She said she'd NEVER had anyone sign up that early. Pretty sure I made for a good story among her co-workers that day. (Yes, I know I'm a freak.)
Dan "loves" this about me, and came up with a new verb after we got engaged. He said I could "Spjute" out any task in half the time a normal person could. Generally this overly-efficient way of living is good, but sometimes it makes me too impatient if I can't "Spjute" something out right away. For example, waiting 9 months for a baby to come is WAY too long if you ask me.

So after we found out we were pregnant I started looking for deals on baby stuff - both new and used, and started my collection (we had her crib when I was only 16 weeks prego). I'd say I had more than the average amount of stuff for how far along we were, and since my family threw me a shower I had bags full of cute girl clothes.

I stored almost everything in the closet in the spare bedroom, and since Lydia's passing I have avoided making eye contact with it whenever I had to open the closet door. But I couldn't let it sit there forever, so last week I decided it was time to put it all away. For now. You want to know the amazing thing? I didn't cry. I let myself feel of Lydia's spirit and I truly enjoyed all the really cute things we had. I laid out all the clothes/quilts and took a picture - little girls are just so cute!


I even imagined Lydia wearing each outfit. I folded each piece of clothing and placed it gently in a bin, anxious for the day when Lydia's little sister can wear her "hand-me-downs" while I tell her stories about her older sister who fought so hard for her brief life. In the mean time, I'm sure that every once in a while I will need to get out my box of baby things so I can enjoy the fact that - although her time here was too short - I have a baby girl. And a beautiful one at that.

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I need to take lessons from you! I love that your girl babies have a batman shirt with pink sleeves. My boys would go nuts over putting that on our baby girl.

    Thanks for sharing your experiences. I know your daughter is such a lucky girl to have you as a mom! (yeah, the s is for was-gibby)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady, I could really take a lesson from you on preparedness. I bet that just feels GOOD to be so on it. I need a little more Spjute in my life. I love all of the girl clothes, especially that you have sunglasses already, too. :) You are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing and your daughter is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, she is a little doll! And you have very excellent taste and style. I think I did learn a lot from you-- while I do still procrastinate a lot of things, I still like to Spjute it out in regards to preparedness. Bless you. And bless Lydia. I just love her. So much.

    PS.. You are amazing at Spjute-ing out hard things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when Daniel showed us all of the cute little things from the shower and he would say with each thing "And Alicia said ______ about this one... ". It was pretty cute.

    ReplyDelete